Thursday, February 5, 2009

Let's Hear it for the Dogs





"Give those doggies a hand. Let's hear it for those puppies who tell us that we can ..."

Ok that was my improvise at that 80's Footloose hit from the Pointer Sisters.

It was another fantastic day of dogs today but in particular a very special dog named GEM. Gem is a hearing dog - a well trained golden lab & retriever cross who was placed in a family home to support a little girl named Evie. Evie and Gem have been nominated for Friends for Life 2009. Friends for Life is one of my most favourite programs within all of Crufts. You can read more about Friends for Life on the Crufts site www.crufts.org.uk

I managed to assist with filming and photography at Evie's home and also interview Jenny Moir from Hearing Dogs for the deaf www.hearingdogs.org.uk for our Kennel Club YouTube channel. I hope to finish editing my little "sneak peak" at Friends for Life tomorrow. It was a very cold day though! We had about 7cm of snow in a very short amount of time and it was VERY cold filming outside in the park. Gem was a star and Evie was a superstar during film production the entire day. I won't tell you too much right now as I don't want to spoil it!

All I can say is that I needed a box of kleenex instead of my measley little boots packet. Dogs are amazing!

So apologies for not such a long blog today. I am very tired and we are heading to Leicester (pronounced LESTER for those non Brits reading my blog) I will blog more about my Friends for Life adventures in the next days. Please check out Friends for Life it truly is one of the most beautiful parts of Crufts.

The Dog Reporter©

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story. We have just been looking after an Affenpinscher puppy called Eddie, who will hopefully go on to become a diabetic alert and response dog.Its truely ameazing what they can do.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete