Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hoping for the underdog - The Wrestler

Well tonight is the big night in Hollywood. All the media in the world are surrounding the Kodak theatre in Hollywood to see the latest dresses and all the stars at the Academy Awards©. As some of you know I used to work in the film industry (marketing side of the studio) and I have always enjoyed watching the show with friends at a party or someone's Awards potluck.

www.academyawards.com

www.oscars.com

I just wanted to take this moment and say that I am hoping Mickey Rourke wins. I love underdog stories and if there ever was an underdog story of someone hitting bottom (and truly bottom he did hit) it was Mickey. I am also empathetic towards his recent loss of two of his Chihuahuas over the past two weeks. "Loki" was his most famous chihuahua, as this little dog (bless his heart) was the one that Mickey carried everywhere around the world. Loki was often seen on the red carpet or on Mickey's lap in every pap photo. And even the most fickle and jaded of Hollywood were moved to tears when Mickey accepted his Golden Globe last month and finished his acceptance speech by thanking his dogs.

If you don't know Mickey's story I'll just recap a bit here:

Mickey revealed that while he was on the verge of becoming suicidal, he realized that he had to live for his loving dogs, the only ones, who stood by him.

"I think I hadn't left the house for four or five months, and I was sitting in the closet, sleeping in the closet for some reason, and I was in a bad place, and I just remember I was thinking, 'Oh, man, if I do this, And then I looked at my dog, Lowjack, and he made a sound, like a little almost human sound. I don't have kids, the dogs became everything to me. The dog was looking at me going, 'Who's going to take care of me?'” Mickey said.

Mickey is someone who hit bottom yet picked himself up through the love and support of people and his dogs who believed in him when he didn't believe in himself.

The Dog Reporter©

No comments:

Post a Comment