Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Golden Retrievers

Although my sinuses have been full and in general not feeling too great, I managed to make it into the Kennel Club to get a bit more work done today such as my editing and photos. I had promised some of the Friends for Life nominees that I would be making CDs of their photos (which I did) and posted out today. Hooray for me.

Luisa, the Kennel Club art gallery manager, has done a fab job of the recent exhibit on Golden Retrievers. I think Luisa always does a great job with all the dog exhibits (certainly one of my most favourite bits at the Kennel Club) and sometimes I don't think she gets a lot of credit for her very hard work so...

The gallery is more than just a few paintings themed around a particular breed. There is a lot of time consuming research, begging, borrowing (no stealing though as far as I know ;)to display the history of the breed but also show how the dog breed has been portrayed in contemporary art as well. Some of the artwork Luisa gets on loan are from private estates and homes where the artwork has never before been shown public! I don't know how show does it but she always manages to find enough gorgeous dog artwork to hang in the KC gallery. I really believe this is a one of kind dog gallery as it displays not just oil paintings and drawings but sculptures, bronzes, models and decorative collectibles.
I know the Golden Retriever is certainly one of the most popular breeds in the UK (and US) as well as being one of the most popular breeds shown at Crufts www.crufts.org.uk. One of my favourite demonstrations at Crufts is the Golden Retriever synchronised obedience show. It's like watching a brilliant marching band during Macy's Day Parade except with dogs!
There's a heck of a lot of synchronised cross overs between dogs and owners. Goldens are beautiful and clever -it's what makes them truly golden.

So if you live in the UK and fancy a visit to the art gallery you must book (sorry it's not open to the public) but Luisa usually gives a personal tour and she knows her dog art! She is definitely one of the hidden treasures in the Kennel Club.

The Dog Reporter©

No comments:

Post a Comment