Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nuns and Dogs


This weekend I had the opportunity to visit some cloistered nuns and their dogs in Tehachapi, California.  Yes, nuns and dogs.  My mom is a big fan of the Norbertine Sisters, the first order of Norbertine Sisters in California.  The sisters live in a very small monastery in a remote part of the California desert mountains called Tehachapi (which is a Native American word for windy mountains).  Tehachapi sits over 5000 feet above sea level so it was definitely a climb for my little jeep up those windy mountains.  Tehachapi is known in California for being the four seasons town as it is one of the few places in Southern California that truly receives all four seasons of weather.

My mom has been wanting me to go out with her and visit the Norbertine sisters for a long time but alas, I have always been in London or traveling in some other remote part of the world.  This past weekend was an opportunity to do a little road trip with my mom and to visit Mother Mary Augustine and her fellow sisters out in Tehachapi.  Road trip?  I’m always game for a road trip especially when there are working dogs to see.

We left my mom’s house around 6am and we took the toll roads and back highways to take in the beautiful California desert scenery to our destination.  We passed Riverside, Norco, Pinon Hills, Lancaster, Palmdale, Mohave desert and finally reached Tehachapi in a few hours or so.

When we arrived outside the monastery gates the wind was blowing briskly through all the tall oaks and trees surrounding this idyllic location.  The leaves were gorgeous shades of gold, amber, red and brown glistening in the early sunshine.  It was so quiet and peaceful.  I popped out of my jeep to take a few photos and then I saw one of the Pyrenean Mountain dogs (or Great Pyrenees as we call them in North America) running down to greet us.

This was one of the dogs that my mom had been telling me about for sometime.  Milo was out overseeing the volunteers who came to the monastery to assist the sisters with the larger property work such as rebuilding some fences and larger tractor work.  Milo came straight to me and greeted me with a kiss on the hand.  He was so sweet and gentle.  I tried to snap a few photos of him in front of the priory sign but he was more interested in getting in a good scratch then sitting quietly to get his picture taken.
We proceeded to drive up the hill and as we arrived in the little parking lot in front of the gift shop another very large white dog popped his head over the fence and proceeded to greet us with a big smile and wagging tail.  This was Herman, the other Pyrenean Mountain dog.

I had heard so much through my mom about the Norbertine Sisters and their working dogs.  Herman is a pedigree Pyrenean Mountain dog and Milo is Pyrenean Mountain dog crossed with a Hungarian Kuvasz.  I also had the opportunity to meet two other dogs which graced the monastery property.   Toby was one of the other dogs who is a black lab and chow cross.  They are not only proper working dogs doing their function - protecting the Sisters’ livestock and animals from predators such as coyotes - they are also rescue dogs.


The Norbertine sisters have been living in Tehachapi for about 10 years and they strive to live their lives 100% sustainable.  They do hope to eventually raise enough money to build a church along with a retreat house in future.  I had the opportunity to speak to Mother Mary Augustine and Sister Mary Oda who introduced me to their dogs.  They shared with me how much they value their dogs in helping protect their livestock which is key to their livelihoods.  These nuns dedicate their entire lives to prayer and helping other people in the world.  They pray eight hours a day and work in between their prayer and meditation to keep their lives self-sustaining.  No wonder the dogs come in handy.
How do they sustain their humble existence?  Along with the Catholic items for sale in their shop ranging from prayer books to rosaries is a wonderful selection of organic food items which help keep the Sisters going.  They sell homemade organic jellies and jams, delicious almond biscotti, honey, cheeses and eggs along with homemade soaps, lotions and lip balm in their little shop. 

Handcrafted cards of the Pyrenean Mountain dogs, Herman and Milo, are also available to buy alongside other beautiful cards from the monastery.
  
All these items are for sale in their little shop which is open between the hours 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. daily, or by appointment.  They have a very strict schedule so best to call or email before you make the long trek to buy any cheese or visit with the dogs.

You can find out more about the Norbertine Sisters online if you google, Norbertine Sisters.  Here is their website:   http://norbertinesisters.org/ website.  The Sisters take prayer requests by phone, email or write to them.


God Bless - and Dog Bless!

Heidi














Great Pyrenees (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading about the Sisters and their dogs....warmed my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading this particular article. Dogs are looking quite happy with sisters. They also provide safety to Nuns. I wish to visit the place and meet them all, take their blessings and return to New York. It would be such a wonderful trip. Thanks, reporter for this lovely blog post.

    Regards,
    Brano Willis
    Church Supply Store

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I stumbled on your blog when I was researching the Sisters of Norbertine Canonesses.
    My very good friend is joining the sisterhood later this month.
    I loved your post and love dogs also.

    I just wanted to say thank you 

    ReplyDelete