Tuesday, November 9, 2010

LA Super Adoption Event at La Brea Tar Pits November 7th, 2010


Sunday, November 7th, 2010 was Best Friends LA Super Adoption Event in Los Angeles.  The event took place at the famous La Brea Tar Pits park located in Mid-Wilshire area.

I went to share my support and take some photos of the sweet adoptable dogs that were available for adoption.  There were around 30 various dog rescues including mixed mutts and pedigree dog rescues and about 8 LA shelters all representing about 700 dogs that needed forever homes.


I walked around the event to meet some of the rescues and chat with some of the volunteers to find if dogs were getting homes from the event.  I had some positive responses but most volunteers felt that there were just not enough people at the event who were taking home dogs.  What I learned from these hard working volunteers and why this event was so crucial to some of these LA dogs on display was that all the dogs who were brought from the Los Angeles shelters are the dogs on death row.  There are just too many dogs in the poorly under funded LA shelter system and the average hold for dogs that are healthy, spayed and neutered are usually 72 hours (possibly 3 or 4 days if they are lucky) before they are put down.  I can only say that I felt powerless, emotional and again dumbstruck to how and why we have so many dogs in the US without homes.


It was a nice size event well publicised with some great sponsors supporting the event on site including various  pet food companies, magazines, non-profit organisations and various doggy loving goods and services vendors.  I met some really inspiring and amazing people that are out there "doin' it for the dogs."  I want to specifically mention two new companies which really deserve some paw fives for donating proceeds from their sales to dog rescue and betterment of dogs.

Freaky Dog People are a new company with a positive ethos bringing dog peeps together through fun products.  I particularly love the FDP tees they have for sale on their website (I was lucky to finally get one) They are made from soft brushed cotton and bring a bit of cool to dog lovin' peeps with some unique graphics.  You won't find anything like these dog tees anywhere else.  FDP donated $5 from every tee sale at the event to Best Friends dog rescue which I thought was very generous.  (Thank you Leanne!)

I also met  Christy from Toki Poki Pet Trading cards.  Christy and her dog Toki created Toki Poki which are more than just unique pet trading cards of your own pet.  It's a social network, lost and found network and tool to fundraise for dog rescues.

You can check out my photos from the event on my Flickr page.

On a happy note I did see a couple of people leaving the event with an adopted dog.  I spoke to a nice lady who had a lovely border collie cross whom she adopted at LA Super and both the dog and the lady looked quite happy to have found each other.  She had specifically gone to the LA dog adoption event to find a Border Collie cross.  There are always good people in the world and always good dogs to go with them.

x
Heidi



No comments:

Post a Comment