Sunday, November 14, 2010

Annie, a Musical with a dog difference


It's the Hard Knock Life for some dogs ...
But not the rescue dogs lucky enough to star in the reprised musical Annie.
I had the opportunity to see Annie the musical at the Carpenter Center in Long Beach, CA.  It was a first class production on the same par as a Broadway or London production.  It was my first time visiting the famed Carpenter Music Center (dedicated in memory of Karen Carpenter from her brother Richard Carpenter).  I am also an alum of Cal State Long Beach so it was a real treat to see Annie, my favorite musical at my alma mater.
Most people know the story of little orphan Annie - an orphan who had a street dog named Sandy and was later adopted by a billionaire named Oliver Warbucks.  It’s a story that resonated first in comic strip character, then radio and finally a successful Broadway production which began its successful run in 1977. 
I had my first trip to New York City when I was a child accompanied by my mom.  We went to visit my brother who was working in NYC at the time.  He took us to many Broadway musicals that week but the one I remember most was Annie.  Annie a little orphan who had the heart to rescue a street dog melted my heart then and it still melts. 
What made this musical outing such a treat was the opportunity to see some amazing rescue dogs star in this current production.  Mikey who plays Sandy the dog was discovered in a Connecticut shelter.  Mikey along with the other dogs who have played Sandy throughout the years have all been rescued by William Berloni Theatrical Animals.  I had the opportunity to meet Mikey and Mikey’s actor/handler, Brian Michael Hoffman, backstage for a quick interview.  I’ll be providing this interview to an outlet soon.  

It was another first for me to see a dog on the information table at intermission but this was no accident.  William Berloni Theatrical Animals request that a local dog shelter is on hand to support rescue at every performance along with a real shelter dog available for adoption.  Cookie who was featured in a walk-in part in the first half of Annie was then given an opportunity for an intimate meet-n-greet to potential adoptees.  It was fantastic to learn that through the three week run of Annie three dogs were adopted from City of Long Beach animal shelter including Cookie seen here (she had two applicants the night I visited).  Now that might not be a huge deal to some but the thought that three dogs were spared death this past month made my heart sing.



More information about the Long Beach animal shelter can be found online under City of Long Beach.  There are many other dogs like Cookie ready to be given a second chance just like Sandy in Annie.  Let’s hope the sun comes out tomorrow for some other great dogs in need of a forever home.


Heidi
The Dog Reporter©






No comments:

Post a Comment