Monday, March 21, 2011

Post Crufts 2011 - what are your dogs doing now?



You've just won a placing at the largest and greatest dog show in the world - what do you do next?  Paws up?  Play a bit of ball and chase with the neighborhood kids?  Grow your hair out?
Crufts is the equivalent to the Olympics in the dog show world.  Yes, it comes once a year every March (unlike the Olympics that take place every four years) but qualifying, entering and exhibiting (showing to you non-dog peeps) in the actual show itself is the honor of all dog show honors.  It takes a lot of energy, commitment to take a dog all the way to Crufts dog show in Birmingham, England.   When the green carpet rolls away and the lights dim and the jewelled dog collar off  - what happens next?  

I saw this cartoon from a recent New Yorker magazine (one of my favourite magazines to read leisurely while pretending to work).  It gave me a big smile as I know so many dogs and dog owners who really give their pooches an amazing life in and out of the ring.  It's not all about the rosette.   I have met along many a dog along my dog journey who take part in working dog activities, agility, search and rescue operations and even dancing (although I still haven't met a dog in person who can dance salsa and mergengue as well as that golden retriever from Mexico).  I wonder if there are any Crufts or Westminster show dogs assisting with search and rescue right now?  It's not all dancing and show rings. 

God bless those dogs and handlers tirelessly working right now.

My prayers are with Japan.

xxHeidi



No comments:

Post a Comment